Part 1 - Are you getting enough fiber?: Why do I need fiber?
- The average American needs between 25-35 (some studies suggest as many as 40) grams of fiber every day.
- Fiber has so many important functions in the body, such as regulating blood sugar levels, keeping good cholesterol levels up and bad cholesterol levels down, and reducing your risk of colon cancer.
- We are not getting enough fiber in our diet because we tend to eat so many processed foods.
- Anything that starts with "enriched wheat/rice" should be avoided.
- If you are eating a high protein diet, you need to make sure you are getting enough fiber from whole grains and veggies.
- Sugar is another reason many people are not getting enough fiber; sugar prevents fiber from being absorbed properly.
You may also like...
On today’s episode, we have some quick and easy ways to get more fiber in your diet every day. Just substituting brown rice for white rice is one way you can start getting the fiber you need, each and every day.Watch
On today's episode we will give you examples of the kinds of calcium you should be looking for in a supplement! Not all forms are created equally, and it is important to get the right kind!Watch